Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: spot light meters

  1. #1
    kbrady
    Guest kbrady's Avatar

    Post

    Any recommended hand-held spot light meters (brand and model) which have cine settings for super-8 camera speed (24fps of 18 fps)?

    -- Or -- is equally sufficient to set the shutter speed instead if camera speed is not available as a setting on a standard hand-held meter?

    Kirk Brady

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Jean Poirier
    Guest Jean Poirier's Avatar

    Post

    You must make some tests because the shutter angle is not sufficient, you have to consider light losses caused by the reflex prism, the lens. I had good results with a Sekonic.

    Good luck.

    ------------------

  3. #3
    Basstruc
    Guest Basstruc's Avatar

    Post

    Hi !
    None of the light meter I know ( or really affordable for S8 filmmaker like we are ) .I think you'll have calcul exposure time by yourself .
    But ,why then are you really willing to set exact exposure on your spot meter ? Spot meter are only used to compare an enlight area to another .Don't use it to set your diaphragm : better use the 18% grey filter ( on ,like ,every standart hand-held lightmeter ) to find your stop ( or diaphragm ,my english isn't really good )from key-light ,& then compare areas with a spot-meter .
    I personnaly use a Lunasix3 with the spot additif .I'am happy with it but it's only 7,5? .My teachers have got 1? spot meters : terrific ! Before getting my spot additif ,I used the TTL meter on my S8 camera as a spot meter ,but ,then ,I coudn't set my picture before light ...
    Matt


    ------------------

  4. #4
    Basstruc
    Guest Basstruc's Avatar

    Post

    Hi !
    None of the light meter I know ( or really affordable for S8 filmmaker like we are ) have a shutter speed .I think you'll have calcul exposure time by yourself .
    But ,why then are you really willing to set exact exposure on your spot meter ? Spot meter are only used to compare an enlight area to another .Don't use it to set your diaphragm : better use the 18% grey filter ( on ,like ,every standart hand-held lightmeter ) to find your stop ( or diaphragm ,my english isn't really good )from key-light ,& then compare areas with a spot-meter .
    I personnaly use a Lunasix3 with the spot additif .I'am happy with it but it's only 7,5? .My teachers have got 1? spot meters : terrific ! Before getting my spot additif ,I used the TTL meter on my S8 camera as a spot meter ,but ,then ,I coudn't set my picture before light ...
    Matt
    PS :Like Jean said ,remember that every S8 lens ( except angenieux 6-80 & 6-90 ) have geometric aperature written only ,not photometric stop ( geometric + light losses ).


    ------------------

  5. #5
    Nigel
    Guest Nigel's Avatar

    Post

    I have a Seckonic 508Cine. It has both a Spot and an Incident meter. You can set the shutter angle--so it doesn't matter what you are shooting. It also has more speeds than you could ever use. Good Luck

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •